Canon announced a firmware update for its EOS 5D MKIII. This update makes it possible to get an uncompressed signal (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) out of the HDMI output. Nice one, Canon. That makes it possible to connect an external recorder to the camera, what means better images for post production. But there’s one major catch: the update is not rolling out until April 2013. Boo on you, Canon. You announce such a great feature, many people are eager for and you let them wait so darn long.
ARRI just released version 3.1 of its ALEXA firmware.
Key features are:
- Full support for both the ALEXA and ALEXA Plus cameras.
- Integrated functionality with the ARRI Wireless Remote System (WRS) lens controller. This includes both generations of the ARRI transceiver module, known as the Yellow Radio and the White Radio.
- Communication with the new ARRI Remote Control Unit (RCU-4)
- Lens Data System (LDS) display on the ALEXA Plus. A later SUP will also capture this information in metadata.
- Dual SxS card recording. Both card slots can be set to capture identical files simultaneously, making backup file transfers faster.
- ARRIRAW frame grabs. In addition to the other formats already available, frame grabs can be captured in ARRIRAW.